Sunday, August 31, 2008

Flour, Cakes and Weston Price

Recently I've been experimenting with cakes recipes and soaking my grain, after reading about the benefits of soaked grain in our Nourishing Traditions cookbook. Much of the cooking in it takes a little planning, ie deciding what you will eat the day before you eat it, but overall I'm finding it very worthwhile as my digestion has totally improved. It seems according to much of the Weston Price research that soaked, or fermenting is what helps to make and grain, and in fact many other things, digestible for humans. This of course doesn't really suit industry, who threw many of these old fashioned practises out the window for speed, only now we're all suffering.

Anyhow I thought I'd also try varying a few recipes that I particularly like, by soaking the grains first, for those that are interested here's my first. If you're like me and not so keen on using loads of sugar, just use less, that's my plan for next time.

Chocolate Brownie Pudding
200g Butter
200g Spelt flour
330g Rapadura chocolate

3eggs
1 1/2 vanilla pods
200g unrefined/ rapadura chocolate

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler and melt slowly until mixed. Take off heat, and add flour. Mix flour through thoroughly and place under teatowel overnight.

Grease loaf tin

Set oven to 160celsius.

Beat eggs, vanilla seeds and sugar together. Continue beating, and add in large spoonfulls of the chocolate mixture until all is mixed. Pour into loaf tin and bake for forty minutes.

The mixture will be ready when the top is set, but it should be soft and goopy in the middle. Take out of oven, leave to cool slightly in tin, and serve with raw cream/ ice cream for desert.




No comments: